-Read the excerpt below (from HonestReporting.com's report: "CNN: One Year Analysis")
-Read "Types of Media Bias" in the right column. Then answer the questions.
Summary of Findings from November 1, 2007- October 31, 2008 [are as follows]:
- Sixty-seven minutes of the combined CNN video segments were spent airing images sympathetic to the situation of the Palestinians. Only a total of 31 minutes and forty-five seconds illustrated the Israeli side.
- Almost twice as many people interviewed (56) were critical of Israeli polices as opposed to those who were critical of Palestinian actions or defended Israel (30).
- Twenty-one out of thirty-one cases (67%) in which CNN hosted raw footage on its website reflected negatively on Israel.
Read the complete HonestReporting analysis [includes video clip examples] at honestreporting.com.
1. HonestReporting.com’s analysis of CNN’s reporting on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict demonstrates several types of media bias. Name these types of bias.
2. Look at the examples in Honest Reporting’s analysis at honestreporting.com. Do you think that this analysis proves that CNN has been biased against Israel in its reporting? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. The types of media bias demonstrated in HonestReporting’s analysis are: omission, selection of sources and story selection.
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.