Student News Daily has 6 main categories:
(All content is posted by 6 a.m. Eastern time.)
- Daily News Article: Comprehension and critical thinking questions are found on the article page, below the article. In addition, we provide “Background” and “Resources” (including video clips, maps and links) below the questions to give students a better understanding of the news story. Sign-up to receive a FREE daily email with answers to the questions (answers are emailed by 6 a.m. Eastern time.)
- Tuesday’s World Events: three news stories from around the world. Questions are found below the article. In addition, “Background” and “Resources” are provided below the questions. Sign-up to receive a FREE weekly email with answers to the questions. (answers for Tuesday’s World Events are emailed by 6:30 a.m. Eastern time on Tuesday morning.)
- Wednesday’s Example of Media Bias is a weekly example of biased news reporting. Also included on this page are questions about the excerpt and definitions of the types of media bias. (Note: answers to the questions in this category can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- Thursday’s Editorial is a weekly opinion article from the web. Questions asking students to explain their opinion or reaction are found below the article. As individual views vary, answers are not provided for this category.
- Editorial Cartoon — a new cartoon is posted each Friday. The cartoon is accompanied by a question requiring the student to demonstrate understanding of the cartoonist’s intended meaning. Answers to the questions can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page.
- Friday’s News Quiz, a 10 question multiple choice or true/false quiz with questions relating to the week’s five “Daily News Articles.” Sign-up to receive FREE quiz answers by email (the answers email for Friday’s News Quiz is sent the following Monday at 3 p.m. Eastern.)
In addition to the main categories, we provide other current events items under “Extras!” (such as Human Interest News Stories, posted on Mondays, which are news briefs that are generally amusing and sometimes thought-provoking.)
On the top menu bar of every page, we provide links to “Archives” for all content, as well as a “Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs” chart, “Election” page and other resources.
As a reminder, FREE “Answers by email” are provided for these website categories:
- Daily News Article
- Tuesday’s World Events
- Friday’s News Quiz
The Answers email service is provided during the school year–generally from Labor Day (early September) through Memorial Day (late May). Sign-up here.
Student News Daily resources fulfill Common Core requirements: studentnewsdaily.com/common-core-social-studies
The Student News Daily App
The StudentNewsDaily app is student friendly. Students become engaged in the text immediately. The topics are very interesting and span across all disciplines. Students are empowered with confidence to encourage meaningful conversation. The pre-made questions are rigorous and require higher order thinking skills.
Mrs. Goodwin of Performance Learning Center High School in Charlotte, NC
StudentNewsDaily.com is a non-profit 501(c)3 website. All content is provided for free, but we need your support – 3 Ways You Can Help