DIRECTIONS: Identify the following people/groups found in the Daily News Articles this week. Fill in the blank with the letter that best describes each of the following:
1. _____ Sheik Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi
2. _____ Viktor Zubkov
3. _____ Vladimir Putin
4. _____ Hezbollah
5. _____ Michael Chertoff
6. _____ Robert Mueller
7. _____ David Petraeus
a) U.S. military General, and commander of the Multi-National Force in Iraq
b) low-level Russian official, named as new prime minister by the president of Russia
c) President of Russia
d) Lebanese terrorist group
e) Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
f) Sunni Muslim, leader of the Anbar Awakening in Iraq
g) Director of the FBI
DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (Two statements are taken from each of this week’s Daily News Articles.)
8. _______________ Many U.S. soldiers in Iraq are optimistic but cautious about the success of the troop surge, according to Washington Times reporter Sharon Behn, reporting from Baghdad.
9. _______________ U.S. security and intelligence officials told a Senate committee this week that the only thing al Qaeda needs to launch another attack in the U.S. is a place to train their volunteers.
10. _______________ U.S. security and intelligence officials told Congress this week in a committee hearing that al Qaeda terrorists continue to plan and train for a major attack against the U.S.
11. _______________ Israel fighter planes invaded Afghan airspace this week in an attempt to attack Iranian weapons shipments destined for the Lebanese terrorist group Hezbollah.
12. _______________ Israeli officials think that North Korea might be selling nuclear material to Iran and Syria.
13. _______________ Russian President Vladimir Putin stunned Russians this week by naming a relatively unknown bureaucrat as his new prime minister.
14. _______________ Russian President Vladimir Putin stunned Russians this week by saying he would refuse to step down when his term of office is up, despite term limits that prohibit him from running for a third four-year term in the next election.
15. _______________ It is believed that Sunni Sheik Abdul Sattar al-Rishawi, leader of the Anbar Awakening that has been fighting against al Qaeda, was murdered in Anbar this week by an al Qaeda suicide bomber.