DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. Last Friday, unknown cyber attackers used a ransomware attack to force the suspension of operations of a major US energy pipeline that stretches from Texas / California to New Jersey.
2. Colonial’s pipeline is 5,500 miles long. It transports gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and home heating oil. Five percent / forty-five percent of the East Coast’s fuel comes from the pipeline.
3. The U.S. Navy last week discovered thousands of assault weapons hidden aboard a sailing ship believed to be from Iran / Saudi Arabia destined for the Houthi rebels in Yemen.
4. The U.S. / UN imposed an arms embargo against the Houthis in 2015.
5. A ransomware criminal syndicate stole sensitive information from the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department and is demanding $400,000 / $4,000,000 in ransom.
6. The ransomware gang, believed to be in Russia / Silicon Valley is threatening to release personal information of DC police officers taken from background checks, including their social security numbers, financial details and psychological evaluations.
7. Rental car companies make their profits by purchasing new vehicles cheaply in bulk. The semiconductor shortage / gasoline shortage has cut vehicle production so much that rental-car companies have resorted to buying used cars at auction.
8. The demand for used cars by the rental companies is sending used-car costs soaring. Prices are more than 5% / 50% higher than they were a year ago.
9. Florida State University announced that face coverings will no longer be required indoors while on campus. Officials made the decision based on the substantial number of vaccinated individuals on campus as well as the demand by students to drop the mandate / low number of COVID-19 cases on campus.
10. The State University System of Florida recently announced that all 12 public universities will increase classroom occupancy to pre-COVID capacity by the 2021-22 academic year and return to pre-COVID operations. They also plan to return to 33% / 100% in-person participation in athletic and social activities on campuses, including fan participation in stadiums and arenas.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.