DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ The Texas legislature defeated Texas governor Rick Perry’s proposal to join Massachusetts, New Jersey and Virginia in requiring sixth grade girls to get a vaccine to protect them from the sexually transmitted disease HPV.
2. __________________ The American College of Pediatrics and the New England Journal of Medicine supports a law that would require all girls entering the sixth grade to get vaccinated against the HPV virus.
3. __________________ The president and prime minister of East Timor were attacked this week on the same day by rebels aiming to take over the government.
4. __________________ Neither the president nor the prime minister of East Timor were injured in the assassination attempts against them this week.
5. __________________ The Republican controlled Senate passed an update on the FISA bill this week that gives immunity to telecommunications companies that participated in a domestic spying program President Bush began shortly after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
6. __________________ Many Democrats and civil liberties activists do not want to include the immunity provision in the FISA law because they say it is unfair to terrorists.
7. __________________ Imad Mughniyeh, a top al Qaeda leader and one of the FBI’s most wanted terrorists, was killed this week in a car bomb explosion in Syria.
8. __________________ Imad Mughniyeh was linked to many terrorist attacks, including the 1983 bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut and the 1983 bombing of the barracks of U.S. and French peacekeeping forces in Beirut, killing 241 Marines and 58 French paratroopers.
9. __________________ The Pentagon’s plan to shoot down a failed satellite with a missile defense interceptor in the coming days is aimed at preventing toxic fuel from reaching earth.
10. __________________ The satellite targeted for destruction was intended to conduct both electronic eavesdropping and photographic intelligence-gathering.