DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ Pakistani President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad declared a state of emergency in Pakistan this week.
2. __________________ When Pakistan’s president declared a state of emergency this week he outlawed any media reports that would “defame or bring into ridicule the head of state…”.
3. __________________ The head of Britain’s intelligence agency MI5 concluded in a report this week that al Qaeda has been defeated worldwide.
4. __________________ The director of MI5 also reported that the number of terrorists plotting attacks in Britain has increased from last year.
5. __________________ The son of Egypt’s president Anwar Sadat, widely seen at Egypt’s next leader, publicly criticized the U.S. this week in a speech to Egypt’s ruling party.
6. __________________ Egypt has received $28 billion in aid from the U.S. since 1975.
7. __________________ In a huge shift in French foreign policy, French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke to the U.S. Congress this week about strengthening ties between the U.S. and France.
8. __________________ President Sarkozy and French Foreign Minister Kouchner support taking a hard line against Iran on its nuclear weapons program.
9. __________________ Veterans Day was first established as Memorial Day by President Woodrow Wilson in November 1919, to commemorate the end of WW1.
10. __________________ In 1954 the name Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day to honor not only veterans from WWI, but veterans of all wars.