DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ Pakistani President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad declared a state of emergency in Pakistan this week.
2. __________________ When Pakistan’s president declared a state of emergency this week he outlawed any media reports that would “defame or bring into ridicule the head of state…”.
3. __________________ The head of Britain’s intelligence agency MI5 concluded in a report this week that al Qaeda has been defeated worldwide.
4. __________________ The director of MI5 also reported that the number of terrorists plotting attacks in Britain has increased from last year.
5. __________________ The son of Egypt’s president Anwar Sadat, widely seen at Egypt’s next leader, publicly criticized the U.S. this week in a speech to Egypt’s ruling party.
6. __________________ Egypt has received $28 billion in aid from the U.S. since 1975.
7. __________________ In a huge shift in French foreign policy, French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke to the U.S. Congress this week about strengthening ties between the U.S. and France.
8. __________________ President Sarkozy and French Foreign Minister Kouchner support taking a hard line against Iran on its nuclear weapons program.
9. __________________ Veterans Day was first established as Memorial Day by President Woodrow Wilson in November 1919, to commemorate the end of WW1.
10. __________________ In 1954 the name Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day to honor not only veterans from WWI, but veterans of all wars.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.