1. A recent news report revealed that the National Security Agency (NSA), in its hunt for foreign intelligence, has built a surveillance network that covers more Americans’ Internet communications than officials have publicly disclosed – approximately __________________ of all U.S. Internet traffic.
2. The NSA’s surveillance system in some cases retains the written content of emails sent between ___________________ within the U.S. and also filters domestic phone calls made with Internet technology.
d) illegal aliens
3. The use of medical marijuana is legal today in _____________ states and D.C.
4. Voters in Colorado and Washington passed laws in November making the use of __________________ marijuana legal.
b) home grown
c) commercially grown
5. Although federal law prohibits the sale of marijuana, the Justice Department announced this week that it wouldn’t challenge new state laws permitting recreational marijuana use. The role of the Justice Department is to ______________________.
a) challenge state laws
b) enforce the ideologies of the current president’s political party
c) choose to prosecute cases that can be easily won
d) enforce federal law
6. After several controversial Supreme Court cases were decided upon this past year, there have been calls for the justices to open the courtroom proceedings to:
a) television cameras
c) smart phones
d) court reporters
7. When the Supreme Court is in session, the public has access to written transcripts of everything that was said in the Courtroom _________________. The pubic has access to audio from court arguments by the end of each week; in some cases the audio is made available the same day.
a) real-time; as it happens
b) by the end of the term
c) by the end of the day
d) by the end of the week
8. The G-20 is a collaboration of countries promoting:
a) military force against Syria
b) open immigration around the world
c) world peace
d) economic growth and trade around the world
9. President Obama’s goal for the G20 is to persuade world leaders to support:
a) sound economic policy throughout the world’s governments
b) a military strike on Syria
c) free market capitalism
10. Addressing the concern that al-Qaeda-linked groups have infiltrated rebel groups in Syria, Secretary of State Kerry said that moderates dominate the Syrian opposition and the al-Qaeda-associated group Jabhat al-Nusra is a minor player militarily and organizationally. Kerry said extremist and jihadist groups comprise less than ______________ of Syrian rebel forces.