1. The MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston this week announced the launch of a new program aimed at ___________________ eight types of cancer within the next ten years.
b) reducing deaths from
c) training physicians to treat
d) developing pharmaceuticals to be used to treat
2. The cancers the MD Anderson Cancer Center program will target include all but:
a) skin cancer
b) brain cancer
d) lung cancer
3. When President Obama addressed the UN General Assembly this week, events in ____________ were expected to be addressed in his speech.
a) South Africa’s gold mines
b) the 2012 U.S. presidential campaign
c) China and Japan
d) the Muslim world
4. In response to recent Egyptian attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, the murder of the U.S. Ambassador in Libya, and other Islamist attacks on U.S. and Western symbols in the Muslim world, the head of Egypt’s largest Islamist party demanded that:
a) the U.N. pass a resolution to criminalize contempt of Islam as a religion and the Prophet Mohammad
b) the Muslim world bring to justice all terrorists in their midst
c) the U.S. arrest the American who made a film mocking Islam and Mohammed
d) President Obama repeal the First Amendment and apologize to the Muslim world
5. In 2009 President Obama promised, “If your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime.” However, without action by Congress and the President, income tax rates for almost all Americans are set to increase ______________.
a) Election Day
b) Tax Day 2013
c) January 1st
d) Inauguration Day
6. The Washington Post this year named the unprecedented $494 billion tax increase ________________, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke described it as a “massive fiscal cliff.”
a) a good idea
7. In his speech to the U.N. General Assembly this week, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad referred to the people of Israel as:
a) “uncivilized Zionists”
d) “dear friends”
8. Which is a real statement made by President Ahmadinejad during his address to the UN General Assembly this week?
a) “Mutually assured destruction (MAD) is not a deterrent, it is an inducement to Iran”
b) “A state of mistrust has cast its shadow on the international relations, whilst there is no trusted or just authority to help resolve world conflicts”
c) “Peace to you on Yom Kippur”
d) “We must work together with the U.S. and Israel to create peace in the Middle East”
9. Which one of the following is not a factor contributing to a drastic increase in pork prices next year?
a) this summer’s drought
b) corn feed prices have nearly doubled this year
c) the federal government’s ethanol mandate
d) more people are buying electric cars
10. In addition to pig farmers, cattle and ____________ farmers are affected by the rise in corn feed prices.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.