DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ A federal appeals court in California refused to reconsider a ruling that found a public high school had the legal right to order students wearing Mexican-flag adorned shirts to turn them inside out during a Cinco de Mayo celebration in school.
2. __________________ After they initially lost their case in February, the students asked the 9th Circuit to rehear the case with a special 11-judge panel, called an en banc hearing.
3. __________________ During the UN General Assembly this year, President Obama attended a meeting on global warming where he discussed his own “climate action plan” and urge other countries to follow through. Of significance was the fact that the two countries with the largest populations in the world – Saudi Arabia and Indonesia – did not attend.
4. __________________ In addition to the issues of ISIS and Ebola which he covered in his address to the General Assembly, the president was expected to discuss Russian intervention in Ukraine and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict with the representatives of other U.N. member states.
5. __________________ Fourteen states are holding gubernatorial elections this year.
6. __________________ There are currently 21 Democratic governors and 29 Republican governors in the U.S. The Washington Post has highlighted 12 races that are significant because they are all close races; the incumbent or the candidate running for the office from the same party has a chance of losing the election to the opposing party.
7. __________________ During his annual address to the UN General Assembly in New York on Friday, President Obama said “the cancer of violent extremism” in the Middle East is the single issue that could derail future global progress.
8. __________________ President Obama called on leaders in Christian countries to confront the threat of extremism and reject such ideology and to cut off the funding that “fuels the hate.”
9. __________________ In our first strikes with our Arab allies against ISIS in Syria this week, the U.S. and our Arab counterparts hit oil refineries, installations and oil fields.
10. __________________ All 22 member states of the Arab League took part in the U.S.-led strikes against ISIS as part of the broad coalition President Obama organized.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.