DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Gen. Stanley McChrystal said in a confidential report that without more troops, the war against insurgents in Iraq will end in failure.
2. __________________ In response to Gen. McChrystal’s report, President Obama has said he will make a decision on whether to authorize the deployment of more soldiers to Afghanistan by the end of September.
3. __________________ The president of Honduras was ousted from the country after he was ordered arrested by Honduras’s Supreme Court for pushing an illegal constitutional rewrite that would have allowed him to remain president beyond his term limits.
4. __________________ In addition to citizens, the congress, the courts, the armed forces and the Catholic Church do not want President Zelaya to return to Honduras.
5. __________________ In response to the ousted President sneaking back into the country and taking up residence in the Brazilian Embassy, the Honduran government has cut off power, water and telephone contact in the Embassy.
6. __________________ An AIDS vaccine recently tested in Thailand has cut the risk of becoming infected with HIV by 100%.
7. __________________ The biggest drawback to the vaccine is that the study used strains of HIV common in Thailand, and scientists stressed it is not clear whether the vaccine would work against other strains in the U.S., Africa or elsewhere.
8. __________________ In a letter to the International Atomic Energy Agency this week Iran has revealed the existence of a secret uranium-enrichment plant which is being used to for the creation of nuclear weapons.
9. __________________ Ahead of a scheduled meeting with the U.N. Security Council on Oct. 1, the Iranian government has declared that it will not bargain on its enrichment program.
DIRECTIONS: match the people mentioned in this week’s Daily News Articles with their titles (1 point each)
1) _______ U.S. General, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan
2) _______ U.S. Secretary of Defense
3) _______ U.S. Secretary of State
4) _______ U.S. General, the head of CENTCOM
5) _______ President of Afghanistan
6) _______ ousted president of Honduras
7) _______ interim president of Honduras
8) _______ president of Venezuela
9) _______ president of Costa Rica
10) _______ president of Brazil
a. Manuel Zelaya
b. Oscar Arias
c. Hugo Chavez
d. Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
e. Roberto Micheletti
f. Robert Gates
g. David Petraeus
h. Hamid Karzai
i. Stanley McChrystal
j. Hillary Clinton
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.