DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ At the Democratic National convention this week, some Democrats were concerned that a plan to place Sen. Clinton’s name in nomination for a symbolic roll-call vote could expose a lingering rift in the party.
2. __________________ Sen. Clinton appeared to be working behind the scenes this week to build support for her own nomination for Democratic presidential candidate.
3. __________________ The proposed Democratic platform repeats the current platform’s support for a constitutional ban on abortion.
4. __________________ The Republican party’s plank on abortion says: “The Republican Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade and a woman’s right to choose a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay, we oppose any and all efforts to weaken or undermine that right.”
5. __________________ U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, a Catholic, said this week that over the centuries leaders in the Catholic church have not been able to say when life begins exactly, and anyway, it shouldn’t have an impact on a woman’s right to choose to have an abortion.
6. __________________ Catholic leaders criticized Speaker Pelosi’s remarks, saying she misrepresented the Catholic Church’s views on abortion and that the Church’s moral teaching never justified or permitted abortion at any stage of development.
7. __________________ Much of President Clinton’s speech at the Democratic convention this week focused on why America needs a Democrat -Barack Obama – in the White House.
8. __________________ In his speech at the convention, President Clinton said that his wife Hillary was the right candidate for the job of President – that she has the intelligence and curiosity every successful President needs.
9. __________________ In his acceptance speech at the close of the Democratic National Convention, Senator Obama said that Senator McCain is too inexperienced to be the next President of the United States.
10. __________________ During his speech, Senator Obama strongly emphasized his support for the war in Iraq while criticizing John McCain’s stand on Afghanistan.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
“Answers by Email” resumes September 2nd. Sign up for “Answers by Email” here to receive “Friday’s News Quiz” answers each week.
2. false – replace “her own” with “Sen. Obama’s”
3. false – replace “Democratic” with “Republican
4. false – replace “Democrat” with “Republican”
8. false – replace “his wife Hillary” with Barack Obama” and replace “she” with “he”
9. false – replace “inexperienced” with “out of touch” or “too much like President Bush”
10. false – replace “support for” “opposition to”