1. Which of the following is the reason the Russian government gave for invading Georgia?
a) the Georgian president is negotiating with the U.S. to install a missile-defense system in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi
b) the Russians do not want Georgia to have an oil pipeline that the Russians have no control over
c) Russia claimed that over a thousand Russian citizens were killed by the Georgian army in breakaway South Ossetia
d) President Bush was wrong when he said in 2001 that Vladimir Putin is straightforward and trustworthy
2. The Russian-Georgian conflict will probably help Georgia’s bid to join:
a) the U.N.
c) the European Union
3. What is significant about President Pervez Musharraf’s resignation from office?
a) he left peacefully
b) he had just been elected president
c) he had cooperated closely with America in the fight against international terrorism
d) he was voted out of office
4. Who is most likely happy to see President Musharraf depart office?
a) the Indian government
b) the Taliban
c) the U.S. government
d) the Saudi government
5. What is the specific goal of China’s censors during the Olympic games?
a) to block all immoral TV shows and movies while there are so many foreigners in the country
b) to hide the corruption of most Chinese officials and the Communist party in general
c) to repress any mention of the recent earthquake’s victims
d) to bury negative stories or remove any reference to links between bad news and the games
6. What was the Ministry of Propaganda’s intent for distributing the 21 edicts to news editors across China?
a) to make suggestions on how to provide the most in-depth coverage of the Olympic games
b) to ensure that during interviews with the athletes, Chinese journalists were polite
c) to instruct the Chinese media on how to report news during the Olympics
d) to make the foreign news media believe that Communism works
7. How long has the U.S. moratorium on new offshore drilling been in effect?
a) for 6 years
b) for 26 years
c) for 50 years
d) for 1 year
8. Which presidential candidate called on the government to end the moratorium on new offshore drilling?
a) Senator John McCain
b) Senator Al Gore
c) Senator Barack Obama
d) Senator Hillary Clinton
9. During the 2008 Beijing Olympic games, the Communist Chinese government has
a) detained an unknown number of reporters
b) arrested many protesters
c) restricted freedom of speech more than usual
d) all of the above
10. In defense of choosing China to host the Olympics despite their dismal human rights record, the International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge assured reporters in July by saying:
a) “China’s president has personally promised me in writing that they will allow the free flow of information during the Olympics”
b) “there are no human rights violations in China”
c) “For the first time, foreign media will be able to report freely and publish their work freely in China”
d) “the Chinese government already allows freedom of speech and assembly, religion and freedom of the press”
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
“Answers by Email” will resume September 2nd. This week’s quiz answers are below:
1. c) Russia claimed that over a thousand Russian citizens were killed by the Georgian army in breakaway South Ossetia
2. b) NATO
3. a) he left peacefully instead of trying to fight to stay in office
4. b) the Taliban
5. d) to bury negative stories or remove any reference to links between bad news and the games
6. c) to instruct the Chinese media on how to report news during the Olympics
7. b) for 26 years
8. a) Senator John McCain
9. d) all of the above
10. c) “For the first time, foreign media will be able to report freely and publish their work freely in China”