NOTE: Answers by email has ended for the school year. You will begin receiving “Answers” emails again on Sept. 2.
Answers to this quiz will be posted here on Monday at the bottom of the page. [The last quiz for this school year will be Friday, June 13th.]
DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Scores of undocumented immigrants from Central America were released at bus stations in Tucson and Phoenix over several days after they were flown by federal officials to Arizona from Texas.
2. __________________ Authorities flew the undocumented immigrants to Arizona and released them at bus stops because detention facilities were full after a surge in immigrants crossing the border illegally, U.S. officials said.
3. __________________ In June 1989, a Chinese civilian blocked military tanks near Tiananmen Square. He became known as “loco man.”
4. __________________ After seven weeks of peaceful, student-led protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989, on June 4 the Communist Chinese government ordered the military to talk with protesters about their demands.
5. __________________ Bowe Bergdahl, the soldier who was held captive by the Taliban for 5 years, was captured while on patrol with his platoon near the base where he was stationed in Afghanistan in 2009.
6. __________________ Bergdahl’s release is controversial because the Obama administration traded him for 5 Taliban terrorists being held in Gitmo and did so secretly.
7. __________________ The Obama administration is imposing new regulations on carbon emissions because they believe it is the best way to kill the coal industry.
8. __________________ Coal is currently used to produce 40% of the nation’s electricity, more than any other fuel. Because it is cheap and abundant and can be stored on power plant grounds, it helps keep prices stable and power flowing even when demand spikes.
9. __________________ British and American veterans gathered in England this week to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.
10. __________________ The veterans took part in a ceremony to honor the memory of the military bagpiper who played his bagpipes on the beach to lift the spirits of the allied troops as they came ashore.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
3. false – replace “loco man” with “tank man”
4. false – replace “to talk with protesters about their demands” with “to open fire on peaceful protesters and clear the square”
5. false – replace “while on patrol with his platoon near” with “after he snuck away from / walked away from”
7. false – replace “to kill the coal industry” with “to combat global warming”
9. false – replace “100th” with “70th”