DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) /National Security Agency (NSA) announced last week that it had stopped a form of surveillance that allowed it to collect without a warrant the digital communications of Americans who mentioned a foreign intelligence target in their messages.
2. The government’s secret surveillance program was revealed by former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden / Julian Assange in 2013. Officials from both the Bush and Obama administrations defended this surveillance by saying it was both lawful and vital to national security.
3. An Australian newspaper recently obtained secret Facebook documents that reveal the company’s program which uses sophisticated algorithms to monitor posts and internet activity of young people in real-time. The secret Facebook documents outline how Facebook can target “moments when young people need a confidence boost” in pinpoint detail. Facebook uses the information to sell to advertisers / to send these users encouraging messages.
4. After being contacted by The Australian, Facebook executives said it was wrong to target young people in this way and took responsibility / did not take responsibility for the secret, unethical behavior.
5. CNN announced this week that it is refusing to air a paid campaign ad from President Trump because the spot refers to the media as “fake news” / “fair and balanced.”
6. The head of the Trump campaign accused CNN of poor sportsmanship / censorship and said that “CNN has proven that it fears an opposing point of view.
7. Operation Frequent Wind was the final phase in the evacuation of American civilians and South Vietnamese from Saigon, prior to the takeover of the city by the North Vietnamese Army in the Fall of Saigon. It was carried out in 1965 / 1975, during the last days of the Vietnam War.
8. Operation Frequent Wind was the largest helicopter / fighter jet airlift in history. About 100 Marine, Air Force and Air America aircraft evacuated an estimated 7,000 Americans and South Vietnamese out of Saigon in less than 24 hours.
9. The air-sea Battle of the Coral Sea took place between May 4 and May 8, 1942. The U.S. and Australia fought the Japanese / Russians in this battle.
10. The Battle of the Coral Sea was significant because it was the first time the Japanese had been halted during their southwards advance across the Pacific. It prevented them from attempting an invasion of Australia / Pearl Harbor.