1. Researchers at SUNY Albany and University of Illinois recently released a study on wind farms that showed:
a) large wind farms slightly increased air temperatures near the ground
b) wind energy has the potential to replace coal in generating 50% of U.S. electricity
c) wind farms could not succeed without large government subsidies
d) wind farms generate loud noise that disturbs the quality of life for residents in the area
2. The researchers conducted their research by analyzing ______ of satellite readings around four of the world’s biggest wind farms.
a) 9 weeks
b) 9 months
c) 9 years
d) 90 years
3. The FDA is considering making some prescription drugs over-the-counter. This would permit Americans to obtain drugs used to treat conditions such as __________________ without obtaining a prescription. Under the changes that the agency is considering, patients could diagnose their ailments by answering questions online or at a pharmacy kiosk in order to buy current prescription-only drugs for certain conditions.
a) seasonal allergies and the common cold
b) high blood pressure and diabetes
c) kidney failure and stroke
d) heart disease and hay fever
4. The FDA’s decision about some prescription medications could affect _______________ negatively if they are required to pay the full cost of their medications.
c) illegal immigrants
5. The FDA changes might affect non-medicare patients negatively by requiring them to pay the full cost of medications since ________________________________.
a) most insurance companies don’t cover over-the-counter drugs
b) they don’t want to spend the time to fill out insurance paperwork
c) they don’t have medical insurance
d) they don’t want medical insurance
6. As a main part of the president’s trade agenda, the Obama administration has proposed relaxing export restrictions on weapons currently subject to strict export regulations. Exports currently subject to the strict regulations include all but:
a) drones, satellites and tanks
b) close-assault weapons, sniper rifles, combat shotguns and ammunition
c) shoulder-launched nuclear weapons
d) semi-automatic firearms of up to .50 caliber
7. In recently disclosed memos, ____________________________ have objected to Obama administration proposals to relax export restrictions on high-powered firearms.
a) Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon
b) leaders of al Qaeda and the Taliban
c) U.S. homeland security and law-enforcement agencies
d) media outlets including The New York Times and CNN
8. Those opposed to the Obama administration’s proposal to relax the export restrictions on certain weapons:
a) warn the changes could help arm drug cartels and terrorists and make it harder for the U.S. to crack down on gun-trafficking.
b) are opposed to free-markets
c) are isolationists
d) warn the changes could turn our friends into our enemies
9. The F-22 Raptor has been deployed to Southwest Asia, almost certainly to __________________ air base at Al Dhafra.
a) Saudi Arabia’s
d) United Arab Emirates’
10. The F-22’s capabilities include all but:
a) superior speed
c) the ability to avoid detection
d) causes the Iranians to run and hide in fear