PLEASE NOTE: Daily posting and “Answers” emails will end for the school year on Friday, May 29th.
DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ The Secret Service arrested a man this week who was flying a small drone outside President Obama’s living room window.
2. __________________ The man operating the drone was arrested because the Obamas wanted to watch TV in peace.
3. __________________ A complaint was filed with the US education department’s office for civil rights alleging that Harvard has set quotas to keep the number of Asian American students significantly lower than the quality of their applications merit.
4. __________________ The group filing the complaint wants a federal investigation and is requesting Harvard “immediately cease and desist from using stereotypes, racial biases and other discriminatory means in evaluating Asian-American applicants.”
5. __________________ In November, voters in one Massachusetts city approved a ban on fracking there.
6. __________________ The city ban on fracking caused state lawmakers to propose bills prohibiting local fracking bans.
7. __________________ President Obama announced this week a ban on federal transfers of certain military-style equipment to police departments as part of a broader administration effort to build trust between law enforcement and communities.
8. __________________ President Obama plans to ban federal agencies from transferring drones and riot gear to local police departments.
9. __________________ The purpose of Memorial Day is to honor all current and former U.S. service members.
10. __________________ Memorial Day is celebrated every year on the last Monday in May.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.