DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ British Queen Elizabeth last week gave the annual Queen’s Speech, which sets out the government’s agenda for the coming session, outlining policies and proposed legislation for the new parliamentary session. It is written by the Queen.
2. __________________ The Queen’s speech introduced new legislation addressing illegal immigration in Britain which includes measures that will prevent illegal immigrants from accessing services they’re not entitled to.
3. __________________ According to a report by the Inspector General for Tax Administration, over the past few years the IRS has been targeting progressive/liberal groups for extra scrutiny.
4. __________________ The IRS campaign to apply additional scrutiny to these groups went beyond targeting “Tea Party” and “patriot” groups to include those focused on government spending, the Constitution and several other broad areas.
5. __________________ It was learned this week that the Obama administration secretly seized telephone records of lines assigned to The Associated Press in an apparent attempt to prevent them from reporting on the Benghazi scandal.
6. __________________ Although Justice Department rules require that subpoenas of records of news organizations must be personally approved by the attorney general, Eric Holder said he did not authorize the seizure of phone records.
7. __________________ Federal agency TIGTA concluded from its investigation of the IRS that the agency targeted conservative groups in an attempt to intimidate them into silence before the presidential election.
8. __________________ The IRS required Tea Party groups applying for tax exempt status to provide information including lists of donors, printouts of Facebook posts, what books people in the group were reading and asked about future activities, like future donations or endorsements the group would make, among other things.
9. __________________ This week the Thomas More Society announced that the IRS harassed two of their pro-choice clients when they were seeking tax-exempt status.
10. __________________ The Coalition for Life of Iowa received their tax-exempt status shortly after the Thomas More Society threatened legal action against the IRS.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.