DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ McDonald’s Corporation has announced they will be raising employee wages in the 10% of McDonald’s stores that are company-owned restaurants.
2. __________________ Franchise owners are upset with McDonald’s decision because raising the pay in company-owned restaurants has caused their employees to quit and transfer to corporate-owned stores.
3. __________________ Franchisees can’t afford more payroll costs because they pay a lot of extra money to the company (which corporate-owned restaurants don’t owe) for advertising, rent, and other expenses, including a service fee equal to 4% of gross sales.
4. __________________ In April, Wal-Mart suddenly closed five stores in four states for plumbing problems, telling employees the closures could last up to 6 months.
5. __________________ Wal-Mart is giving all workers from the closed stores paid leave for two weeks. After that, full-time workers could become eligible for severance; part-time workers will not.
6. __________________ Some employees believe that the stores were closed by Wal-Mart because the plumbing needs to be completely replaced in all of its stores.
7. __________________ Baltimore business owners are concerned over the arson and looting that has taken place because the city took many years to start to recover from devastating riots in 1968 and these new riots could be a setback.
8. __________________ Economists warned that the looting and burning of a CVS store, as well as the destruction of other shops, will tend to deter retailers from investing in new stores in Baltimore.
9. __________________ This week marked 40 years since the largest helicopter airlift in history, which is known as “the Berlin Airlift.”
10. __________________ The use of helicopters for the airlift was triggered by a North Vietnamese attack on Saigon’s airport, which ruined runways and made a mass airplane evacuation impossible.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.