DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Although 70% of likely voters in Arizona approve of the illegal immigration law just passed, former President George W. Bush said he opposes it because the law “threatens to undermine basic notions of fairness” and is “a poorly conceived law.”
2. __________________ Since the immigration law passed in Arizona, several additional states have begun moving toward implementing similar immigration enforcement laws.
3. __________________ After an attempt last week to place a large underwater dome on top of a well leaking oil into the Gulf failed, BP planned to use a much smaller dome this week to do the same thing.
4. __________________ BP’s chief executive has given the assurance that the relief wells they are drilling will ultimately be successful in shutting off the oil leak.
5. __________________ Conservative leader Nick Clegg became the new prime minister of Great Britain this week.
6. __________________ The new U.K. prime minister formed a coalition government with the head of the Liberal Democrat Party because no party won a majority of parliamentary seats in last week’s national vote.
7. __________________ Facebook currently has 6 million users.
8. __________________ Facebook has begun automatically sharing users’ personal profile information with some third parties and there is no way to prevent the company from doing so.
9. __________________ Red shirts are protesters in Thailand who oppose Prime Minister Abhisit’s government.
10. __________________ Thai Prime Minister Abhisit withdrew his offer to hold early elections after protesters, who initially agreed to his offer, made new demands of the government as a condition for leaving their protest site.