DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ In response to the Chinese government’s cyber espionage against the U.S., Congress has banned most sectors of the US government from buying information technology made by companies linked to the Chinese government.
2. __________________ The Chinese government opposes the U.S. ban.
3. __________________ A coalition of San Diego groups is petitioning the FAA to be chosen as one of the locations for the six drone test zones they are creating in the U.S. in an effort to integrate drones into domestic airspace.
4. __________________ The ACLU is opposed to establishing drone zones because they don’t like the U.S. military.
5. __________________ The U.S. Justice Department sued The Scooter Store in 2005 for Medicare fraud and won. As part of the settlement the company was subject to periodic government reviews. In 2011 government auditors estimated that The Scooter Store received many millions of dollars in improper payments for scooters. The company took no action to repay the money it owed until February 2012, when the Health and Human Services’ inspector general threatened to bar the company from doing business with Medicare.
6. __________________ Medicare is only supposed to pay for power scooters when seniors are too lazy to walk.
7. __________________ President Obama has proposed funding a project to map the human brain. He is asking Congress for $1 million for the first year to launch the BRAIN program.
8. __________________ It could cost billions of dollars over several decades to build a comprehensive brain map. No one knows how long it will take, or how much it will cost, or what the specific outcomes will be.
9. __________________ In recent weeks North Korea has made repeated threats, including vowing to increase production of nuclear weapons materials and threatening a pre-emptive strike against the U.S.
10. __________________ The immediate danger North Korea poses to South Korea is that even without nuclear arms, the North poses enough artillery within range of the capital to devastate large areas before U.S. and South Korea could fully respond.