DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ Gen. David Petraeus is the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
2. __________________ Gen. Petraeus told Congress this week that Pakistan is now home base of al Qaeda and should be the focus of U.S. attention.
3. __________________ Defense Secretary Robert Gates presented a $534 billion budget proposal this week that shifts priorities in military spending from counterinsurgency to conventional warfare.
4. __________________ A bipartisan group of U.S. senators sent a letter to President Obama on Monday supporting what they described as “deep cuts” in missile and missile-defense programs proposed by Secretary Gates.
5. __________________ Cyber spies from al Qaeda and the Taliban have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, according to current and former national-security officials.
6. __________________ The infiltration of our electrical systems by cyber spies appears to be pervasive across the U.S. and doesn’t target a particular company or region.
7. __________________ Christian medical professionals protested this week against President Obama’s plan to rescind President Bush’s conscience protection regulations.
8. __________________ Pro-lifers fear that many doctors could abandon the medical field entirely and up to 1% of the nation’s hospitals could close rather than comply with government mandates on abortion and contraception they deem morally unacceptable.
9. __________________ American cargo ship captain Richard Phillips attempted to escape from his Somali pirate captors by jumping overboard under the cover of darkness in an attempt to swim to a nearby U.S. Navy destroyer.
10. __________________ Somali pirates are afraid that the U.S. will act with force against them and have vowed to free their captive if surrounded by U.S. warships.