DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ The average income for Americans fell by 3.6% in January. The sequester, which kicked in last Friday, will require the federal government to cut its budget by 1.3 to 2.4 percent.
2. __________________ Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said the federal government should follow the lead of Americans. He said: “It’ absurd to think that the government cannot get by with a little more than a 2 percent reduction in spending when every working American had to figure out how to make do with 2 percent less in their paychecks just last month.”
3. __________________ The Keystone XL is an oil pipeline which would bring petroleum from the oil sands of Alberta, Canada, to refineries on the Gulf Coast of Texas.
4. __________________ Construction of Keystone XL must get approval from the State Department because the pipeline would cross a United States border.
5. __________________ Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died this week. His supporters were those who support free-markets and democracy in Venezuela and around the world.
6. __________________ When he addressed the U.N. General Assembly in September 2006, Hugo Chavez called President Bush his angel.
7. __________________ Senator Rand Paul staged a filibuster this week to block a vote to confirm John Brennan as President Obama’s nominee for head of the CIA.
8. __________________ The purpose of Sen. Paul’s filibuster was also to get the Obama administration to give a definite answer on whether they believe the president has the authority to authorize a drone strike against an American citizen on U.S. soil.
9. __________________ Government scientists in Russia are attempting to use cloud seeding to prevent flooding in the Jakarta area.
10. __________________ The Jakarta program is the world’s first known effort to use cloud seeding to try to prevent flooding.