DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ The average income for Americans fell by 3.6% in January. The sequester, which kicked in last Friday, will require the federal government to cut its budget by 1.3 to 2.4 percent.
2. __________________ Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said the federal government should follow the lead of Americans. He said: “It’ absurd to think that the government cannot get by with a little more than a 2 percent reduction in spending when every working American had to figure out how to make do with 2 percent less in their paychecks just last month.”
3. __________________ The Keystone XL is an oil pipeline which would bring petroleum from the oil sands of Alberta, Canada, to refineries on the Gulf Coast of Texas.
4. __________________ Construction of Keystone XL must get approval from the State Department because the pipeline would cross a United States border.
5. __________________ Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez died this week. His supporters were those who support free-markets and democracy in Venezuela and around the world.
6. __________________ When he addressed the U.N. General Assembly in September 2006, Hugo Chavez called President Bush his angel.
7. __________________ Senator Rand Paul staged a filibuster this week to block a vote to confirm John Brennan as President Obama’s nominee for head of the CIA.
8. __________________ The purpose of Sen. Paul’s filibuster was also to get the Obama administration to give a definite answer on whether they believe the president has the authority to authorize a drone strike against an American citizen on U.S. soil.
9. __________________ Government scientists in Russia are attempting to use cloud seeding to prevent flooding in the Jakarta area.
10. __________________ The Jakarta program is the world’s first known effort to use cloud seeding to try to prevent flooding.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.