1. A professor from The University of Texas at Arlington has invented a breath monitor that can detect:
a) if a person is intoxicated
b) if a person has the flu
c) if a person has used recreational marijuana
d) if a person has been texting and driving
2. The UT professor’s invention could eventually be available in drugstores so that people can:
a) be diagnosed earlier and take advantage of medicine needed to treat it
b) receive a text message warning them to stop texting
c) neither a) nor b)
d) both a) and b)
3. During a background briefing this week on the president’s new temporary hold on some immigration, a Homeland Security official told reporters that the FBI is investigating approximately 300 refugees in the U.S. for:
a) texting while driving
b) applying to college
c) refusing to work
4. In addition to the 300 refugees being investigated, DHS officials told reporters ________ investigations into potential domestic terrorists inspired or motivated by ISIS are currently being conducted.
c) approximately 1,000
5. THAAD, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, is a U.S. missile defense system. THAAD is meant to ________ short- and medium-range ballistic missiles during the last part of their flights, according to a statement made by the US Pacific Command.
a) intercept and destroy
6. A day after North Korea test-launched four ballistic missiles towards Japan, President Trump spoke with Japan’s prime minister Shinzo Abe and said that the US stood “100%” with Tokyo. Due to the continued provocative and threatening missile tests by North Korea, including this latest one, the Trump administration moved up the date of deployment of THAAD to ________.
b) North Korea
c) South Korea
7. U.S. companies added 298,000 new jobs in February, at the end of President Trump’s first full month in office. This number is significant as it exceeds economists expectations by more than:
8. The largest job increases were seen in construction, manufacturing, professional and business industries and education and health sectors.
Ahu Yildirmaz of ADP said the number of new jobs added in February were “increases we have not seen in years.” Mark Zandi of Moody’s Analytics attributed the huge increase to:
a) confidence in President Trump’s economic policies and the expectation of more business-friendly policies to come
b) President Trump’s daily tweets
c) lack of confidence in President Trump’s economic policies
9. U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly announced this week that there was a ________ in illegal border crossings from Mexico into the U.S. from January to February
a) 40 percent increase
b) 4 percent decrease
c) 4 percent increase
d) 40 percent decrease
10. Secretary Kelly attribute the recent change in number of illegal border crossings to ________
a) President Trump’s August meeting with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto
b) President Trump’s move to enforce immigration laws
c) former President Obama’s implementation of the “catch and release” program
d) none of the above
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.