DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ President Obama signed an executive order to lift limits on federal funding of embryonic stem cells this week.
2. __________________ Opponents of embryonic stem cell research are against it because it is too costly for the average taxpayer.
3. __________________ Some teachers are replacing classroom chairs with exercise stability balls as an innovative way to fight childhood obesity.
4. __________________ Overall, students who are using exercise stability balls in place of chairs like the change.
5. __________________ Director of National Intelligence Dennis C. Blair told a Senate hearing this week that China’s military is increasing harassment of Navy survey ships.
6. __________________ The Chinese government said that the U.S. naval ship had been carrying out “illegal surveying in China’s special economic zone” – which under a U.N. treaty the U.S. did not ratify – stretches 12 miles from a country’s coastline.
7. __________________ A growing number of school districts are working to implement random drug tests for teachers in an effort to scare students into refraining from drug use during the school day.
8. __________________ Opponents of random drug testing for teachers say that the policy is unconstitutional. To support their claim they cite the First Amendment that guarantees protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.
9. __________________ Republicans from the House and Senate this week introduced the “No Cost Stimulus Act of 2009” that aims to boost the economy without adding to the national debt.
10. __________________ The “No Cost Stimulus Act” will create jobs while lowering energy costs, as well as U.S. dependence on foreign oil.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.