DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Presidents’ Day, observed on the third Monday of February, is a federal holiday officially known as Washington’s Birthday.
2. __________________ Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, given in 1863 at the dedication of a cemetery after a huge battle in Pennsylvania where over 50,000 soldiers were killed, begins “Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”
3. __________________ In response to protests in Libya, Moammar Gadhafi has agreed to step down and leave the country.
4. __________________ The anti-Gadhafi protests in Libya have resulted in an increase in oil prices in the U.S.
5. __________________ Trial attorneys have begun using Facebook as a way to determine which candidates would make good potential jurors.
6. __________________ The method traditionally used by lawyers to eliminate potential jurors is to do a background check on each prospective juror.
7. __________________ After Somali pirates killed four American captives, other pirates in Somalia said they are sending more ammunition and men to the 30 hijacked vessels still under their control, to keep them from being rescued by any Navy.
8. __________________ The Somali pirates do not have any more captives from the other hijacked vessels they control.
9. __________________ Attorney General Eric Holder announced this week that the Obama administration will no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act because President Obama does not like the law.
10.__________________ The President/Executive branch is responsible for making laws.