DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. __________________ To commemorate George Washington’s birthday each year, every public school in the U.S. conducts a reading of his Farewell Address.
2. __________________ George Washington had a personal copy of the Constitution, in which he had written notes. Next to: “He [the president] shall from time to time give Congress information of the state of the union,” Washington wrote “optional,” and it was he who established the address as an annual event.
3. __________________ Martha Washington destroyed nearly all of her husband’s letters to her shortly before her death in 1802. Three hundred letters, however, did survive.
4. __________________ Iran’s religious authorities have banned a popular Iranian singer and his band from performing any more concerts or having their music played because he let his female guitarist sing a solo at the end of a song.
5. __________________ In Iran, women don’t have the right to sing alone. By Iranian law, which is based on sharia law, women are only allowed to sing in front of their children. If there are men in the audience, a woman can sing with other men, either in a duet or a group, but she isn’t allowed to sing solo.
6. __________________ Several Democratic state lawmakers in Oregon are introducing a bill that would ask voters to amend the state’s Constitution to lower the voting age from 18 to 14 years old.
7. __________________ The Senate Republican leader accused Democrats of attempting to lower the voting age to increase the number of Democratic voters.
8. __________________ In 1971 the 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution lowered the voting age from 21 to 18.
9. __________________ The U.S. and three Central American nations on Wednesday announced an effort to combat drug trafficking to the U.S.-Mexico border, days after President Trump declared a national emergency due to large-scale unlawful immigration.
10. __________________ El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras are joining with the U.S. in the effort to combat smuggling.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.