DIRECTIONS: Circle the correct bolded answer for each question. (10 points each)
1. The Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 aims to provide enhanced security measures for the U.S.’s visa waiver program. Until now, citizens of 38 mostly European countries were able to travel to the U.S. without a visa for business purposes or as a tourist / an Imam. Under the new law, those who will now be ineligible for the visa waiver program include: Anyone with dual citizenship in Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria or those who have visited those four countries since March 2011.
2. Congress passed the Visa Waiver law in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in California and Paris to provide enhanced security measures for the visa waiver program. The aim is to prevent Europeans / Middle Easterners who have joined ISIS and other terrorist groups from entering the U.S.
3. On Monday, the Democratic presidential candidates participated in a previously unscheduled Townhall hosted by CNN apart from the Democratic National Committee. The Townhall was described as hastily scheduled / planned well in advance.
4. Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley had wanted more than the 5 Democratic scheduled debates to get their message out to voters but Hillary Clinton wanted to limit the number of debates. It is implied that Mrs. Clinton wanted the Townhall because she thought it would be fair to her opponents / is not assured of victory in the primaries.
5. Earlier this month, the U.S. Air Force reminded base commanders that they may authorize qualified airmen / military police to carry weapons on base.
6. Base commanders are able to authorize them to carry weapons on base while off duty and out of uniform / while conducting firearms training.
7. A CBS News investigation found that compared to other long-respected charities, the Wounded Warrior Project spends a lot of its donors’ money on the veterans it exists to serve / things other than the veterans it exists to serve.
8. Former Wounded Warrior Project employees said they quit because they were disgusted by executives’ practices on spending for the staff. They described it as lavish / parsimonious and extremely extravagant.
9. President Obama has loosened trade restrictions with Cuba by persuading Congress to lift the ban / using his executive authority to bypass Congress.
10.The key difference between this announcement and earlier efforts to ease trade with Cuba by the Obama administration is that this time the new rules will apply to trade with Cuban government agencies / private entrepreneurs on the island.