DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bold/italicized part of each statement is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Surgeons in Australia have successfully performed the first-ever “dead heart” transplants–replacing patients’ failing hearts with donor hearts that had stopped beating for an extended period of time before transplantation.
2. __________________ The breakthrough procedure by surgeons in Australia will allow far more hearts to be made available for transplants because before this, beating hearts were only taken from people who had died in car accidents, then kept on ice for around four hours before being transplanted to patients.
3. __________________ Before this week’s election, the New York State Democratic Committee sent letters to registered Republcans who did not vote in previous midterm elections warning that they could easily find out who failed to vote on election day.
4. __________________ The New York State Democratic Committee’s letter ended by stating “If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.”
5. __________________ National Park Service officials are considering a project of streaming wireless service inside Yellowstone National Park at a cost of $34 million.
6. __________________ The advocacy group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility is opposed to the Go Digital program in national parks because they believe it will cause people to stop visiting Yellowstone.
7. __________________ After this week’s election, Republicans will hold at least 32 of the 50 governorships and will have full control of at least 28 state legislatures (both chambers: state Senate and State House). These wins are significant because it is their largest total in almost 10 years.
8. __________________ Many of the newly elected Republican governors and legislators will focus on issues including cutting taxes and increasing school vouchers.
9. __________________ This month, Germany is marking the 25th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall, which was a wall in Berlin that separated Communist East Berlin from democratic West Berlin.
10. __________________ When giving a speech at the Brandenburg Gate in 1987, President Ronald Reagan famously said “Checkpoint Charlie, open this gate…tear down this wall.”
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.