DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement write TRUE or FALSE next to the statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ President Barack Obama announced on Friday that he is sending dozens of special forces soldiers to Syria, beginning the first sustained deployment of US ground forces in the country.
2. __________________ The first stationing of US “drones in the air” in Syria marks a significant change of direction for President Obama, who had repeatedly said in the past he would not put combat troops in the country.
3. __________________ Questions asked in this year’s ballot measures across the country included: tax hikes, hunting rights, minimum wage increases, campaign finance and marijuana legalization.
4. __________________ Kentucky’s ballot measure on the legalization of recreational marijuana failed to pass in Tuesday’s election.
5. __________________ At a private meeting in on Sunday night, representatives from most of the Republican presidential campaigns agreed to negotiate directly with broadcasters who are sponsoring debates, pushing the RNC out of that role.
6. __________________ Instead of allowing the RNC to negotiate directly with broadcasters, Donald Trump will meet personally with the broadcast sponsor before each debate to review the format.
7. __________________ The House Oversight Committee initiated a hearing on the TSA after preliminary results of the DHS inspector general’s investigation were leaked this summer: they showed that screeners failed to detect 95 percent of prohibited items – including water bottles and nail clippers – planted by undercover investigators posing as passengers.
8. __________________ The new TSA administrator said the following changes would immediately take place: a) TSA agents’ performance will be measured by the number of banned items detected rather than passenger wait-times; b) there will be new training on how each piece of equipment works; c) the number of procedures screeners must memorize will be streamlined.
9. __________________ This week, Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott threatened to withhold state grant money to Dallas County if the Democratic sheriff there does not detain undocumented immigrants as requested by federal authorities.
10. __________________ Dallas county Sheriff Lula Valdez has refused to adhere to a federal law mandating all undocumented immigrants in jail be held at least 48 extra hours after their release dates to give the U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement time to investigate.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.