DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. __________________ US Army deserter Bowe Bergdahl was sentenced this week following his trial on charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy.
2. __________________ Bergdahl faced a maximum sentence of life in prison. He was sentenced this week to 14 years in prison.
3. __________________ In a televised broadcast from Saudi Arabia this week, Lebanon’s king resigned, saying that he believed there was a plot to assassinate him.
4. __________________ In another surprise move from the Middle East this week, the Saudi government arrested dozens of senior figures including princes, ministers and a top business tycoon on charges of corruption.
5. __________________ A Philadelphia Commissioner recently announced that during the past 10 years, hundreds of Philadelphians canceled their voter registrations after realizing they were not eligible to vote because they are foreign citizens.
6. __________________ The chief function of a state’s Department of State is to promote the integrity of the electoral process. When a reporter asked the Pennsylvania State Department for public records on registered voters who are ineligible to vote, the Department responded “it’s a secret.”
7. __________________ The USDA last week approved a new approach from the biotech company MosquitoMate to eradicate certain mosquitoes that could be carrying viruses including yellow fever, dengue and Zika. The company will conduct its release this summer in 20 US states and Washington DC, starting with Kentucky (where the company is based).
8. __________________ The type of mosquito being targeted is the Asian tiger mosquito which most likely came to the U.S. in tires imported to Houston, Texas from Japan in 1985. The trade of this product within the U.S. has dispersed the mosquito throughout the eastern and midwestern states.
9. __________________ Some veterans groups are calling for a boycott of NFL games over Veterans Day weekend due to the players’ protest against the national anthem. The veterans say protesting the flag and the National Anthem is disrespecting the country they have fought for. One said, “Players have so much power. It is wrong for them to abuse their power.”
10. __________________ Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day as it was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I. In 1954, the law was changed to rename the day Veterans Day. The purpose of Veterans Day is to to honor America’s veterans for their service and sacrifice.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.