1.Veterans Day is a day to honor ___________________; Memorial Day is a day to remember and honor the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
a) all living veterans
b) all active duty military personnel
c) all military personnel injured in the line of duty
d) all military personnel who saw combat
2. Until 1954, Veterans Day was called ____________________ because it was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I and signified the day that fighting ceased between the Allied nations and Germany.
a) Memorial Day
b) Armistice Day
d) WWI Remembrance Da
3. Hong Kong’s new national security law outlaws certain actions said to undermine the national security of China and is punishable by a maximum sentence of life in prison. The law will also apply to non-permanent residents and people “who are not permanent residents of Hong Kong.” _______________ will have power over how the law should be interpreted.
a) pro-democracy activists
b) Hong Kong’s chief executive
c) the Chinese Communist Party
d) NBA players who have Nike contracts
4. The communist-controlled Hong Kong Police Force has launched a hotline for residents to inform on those they believe have broken the controversial “national security” law. Hong Kong’s chief executive Carrie Lam, who is backed by China’s Communist Party, attempted to defend the “national security” law by claiming it would protect the region’s autonomy and would only target _______________.
a) “Communist party officials attacking citizens who support democracy”
b) “pro-democracy students displaying signs supporting free speech”
c) “any resident waving a pro-democracy flag
d) “an extremely small minority of criminals”
5. Operation Warp Speed is _______________ plan to accelerate development, production, and distribution of Covid-19 vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics to produce and deliver 300 million doses of safe and effective vaccines with the goal of making initial doses available by January 2021.
a) Joe Biden’s
b) world-renowned infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci’s
c) the Trump administration’s
6. Pfizer and BioNTech announced Monday their coronavirus vaccine was more than _______________ in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection, hailing the development as “a great day for science and humanity.”
a) 40% effective
b) 50% effective
c) 60% effective
d) 90% effective
7. Georgia will conduct a statewide recount of ballots cast in the election between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden, Georgia’s Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said Wednesday. Biden’s lead over Trump in Georgia is approximately _______________ votes of the nearly 5 million cast.
c) 1.4 million
d) 4. million
8. In explaining the necessity of a hand recount of the election results, Raffensperger said a hand recount “will help build confidence,” noting “it will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once” and explained it is being done this thoroughly:
a) “because the margin is so close”
b) “because Biden has such a huge lead”
c) “because I say what goes around here”
d) “because we’ve got some time to kill”
9. In discussing legal challenges being brought by the Trump campaign against perceived voter fraud in several states, Trump attorney Jordan Sekulow noted __________ use the voting machine made by Canadian company Dominion Voting Systems that has been reporting problems.
a) 3 states
b) 17 states
c) 37 states
d) 50 states
10. The types of voter fraud that have been alleged, according to Mr. Sekulow, include:
a) extra ballots
b) voting machine accuracy
c) dead people voting
d) all of the above
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.