DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement write TRUE or FALSE next to the statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ The recently identified remains of a Marine who was killed during World War I on a remote Pacific atoll were returned home to Knoxville, TX last week 72 years after he was killed.
2. __________________ The marine, First Lt. Alexander Bonnyman was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery in battle. His medal citation noted his “dauntless fighting spirit, unrelenting aggressiveness and forceful leadership through three days of unremitting, violent battle.” It said he “inspired his men to heroic effort, enabling them to beat off the counterattack and break the back of hostile resistance.”
3. __________________ The rain that has fallen on South Carolina over the past few days is record-breaking. During a news conference, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley said of the system carrying the epic rainfall, “We haven’t seen this kind of rainfall in the low country in a million years. That’s how big of a deal this is.”
4. __________________ The storm in South Carolina resulted in power outages, businesses, homes and apartments flooded and hundreds of people getting stranded in floodwaters.
5. __________________ The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a trade agreement between 12 countries including the U.S., Japan, Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam. For the deal to take effect, it must be approved by national legislatures in at least half of the countries.
6. __________________ The TPP deal has been controversial to Congressional members of both political parties because the negotiations have largely been secret.
7. __________________ The Justice Department’s Bureau of Prisons is soon going to release about 6,000 inmates early from federal prisons nationwide in an effort to force every state to legalize all recreational drugs.
8. __________________ The orders for early release follow the U.S. Sentencing Commission’s decision to reduce the potential punishment for future drug offenders last year and then made that change retroactive.
9. __________________ Russia has built up a ground force inside Syria with heavy weaponry that could support a Syrian army offensive. The developments indicate a rapidly growing Russian military campaign based on land, air and sea that is at odds with U.S. goals.
10. __________________ The U.S. is most concerned about a Russian tank offensive in Syria because they pose a direct threat to us – if not coordinated, there could be a clash between the U.S.-led coalition and Russian planes.