DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. __________________ In September, a week after North Korea conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test, the UN Security Council agreed unanimously to a US-drafted resolution to impose new sanctions on the regime.
2. __________________ As it moved to implement UN sanctions against Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile programs, South Korea, which accounts for more than 80% of North Korea’s trade, has ordered North Korean companies operating in its territory to close down.
3. __________________ The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday heard arguments in the government’s appeal of a lower court’s ruling in the case of James Garcia Dimaya, a legal permanent resident who was convicted of committing residential burglaries in 2007 and 2009 and sentenced to two years in prison for each conviction. The Obama administration began deportation process for Mr. Dimaya in 2010.
4. __________________ The administration argued the law involved defines burglary as a “crime of violence” and immigration law requires the deportation of immigrants who commit violent felonies.
5. __________________ Three U.S. scientists won the 2017 Nobel prize for physics on Monday for unraveling molecular mechanisms that control our internal body clocks.
6. __________________ The body clock discovery has enabled scientists today to explore new treatments, including establishing the best times to take medicines, and there is an increased focus on the importance of healthy sleeping patterns. Because of the discovery, scientists now understand that body clocks influence alertness, hunger, metabolism, fertility, mood and other physiological conditions.
7. __________________ On Tuesday, three U.S. scientists won the 2017 Nobel prize for physiology for detecting gravitational waves – ripples in space and time – which were foreseen by Albert Einstein a century ago.
8. __________________ The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory is two U.S.-based instruments working in unison to detect microwaves. LIGO is comprised of two enormous laser interferometers located thousands of kilometers apart.
9. __________________ Three US Green Berets were killed and two others were wounded when a joint U.S.-Nigerien patrol was attacked in southwest Niger near the Mali-Niger border on Wednesday. The Green Berets were ambushed by up to 50 fighters who are thought to be affiliated with ISIS.
10. __________________ Small groups of U.S. Special Ops Forces are in Niger to advise local troops as they battle two terrorist groups. The U.S. military has largely played a supporting role, providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets in support of Russian forces operating in Mali and Niger.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.