1. An Arizona high school football player received a penalty after scoring a touchdown in a game recently. The senior player was ejected from the game and given an automatic game suspension because it was his second unsportsmanlike penalty of the game; he was penalized for:
a) blindsiding his opponent
b) highstepping in the end zone
c) doing a backflip in the end zone
d) staging a choreographed dance with several cheerleaders in the end zone
2. The Arizona player’s coach asked AIA officials to watch a video of the play and overturn the ruling when they determine it was not unsportsmanlike conduct. The head of officials for the AIA said he would:
a) watch the video replay to determine if the ref had made a mistake
b) consider overruling the call
c) not consider overruling the call
d) all of the above
3. Authorities in southern Mexico ____________________________ the entire police force in Acapulco last week.
a) disarmed and placed under investigation
d) gave huge bonuses to
4. Police officers in Acapulco and other towns in Mexico receive low pay and little training. _______________ offer them money if they agree to obey their leaders, or threaten to kill them if they don’t.
b) Local politicians
d) Drug cartels
5. The new trade deal the Trump administration signed with Canada this week is referred to as _______________. It replaces NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement).
a) TTD – the Trump Trade Deal
b) USMCA – the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement
c) BTNAFTAD – Better Than NAFTA Deal
d) none of the above
6. Mexico is the third country to agree to a new trade deal with the U.S. The president of Mexico agreed to a deal in August. The new trade deal fulfills Trump’s campaign promise to:
a) make Mexico pay for the wall
b) repeal NAFTA and make a better trade deal with our North American counterparts
c) both a) and b)
d) neither a) nor b)
7. The Trump administration imposed new sanctions on Iran this year to compel the leaders to end their nuclear weapons program. After the UN’s International Court of Justice ordered Washington to ease some of the sanctions on Iran this week, saying that the sanctions violate a 1955 U.S. treaty with Iran, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo:
a) announced the U.S. withdrawal from the 1955 treaty with Iran
b) agreed to immediately comply with the demands of the international court
c) sent busloads of protesters to surround the court and shout loudly that the U.S. will never be governed by a world body
d) cut off all U.S. funding to the UN
8. The ICJ’s ruling against the U.S. marked the _______________ time the court has intervened on sanctions against another country. The ICJ’s ruling was meaningless because the U.S. the U.S. left the ICJ more than a decade ago.
9. Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday in October. In his Book of Prophesies, Christopher Columbus credits _________________ for enabling him to make his historic trip.
a) hi father
b) his skill as a sailor and a navigator
d) King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella
10. Columbus wrote a letter in 1493 to King Ferdinand’s treasurer reporting on his voyage. In it, he describes the natives they encounter as:
a) trustworthy and generous
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.