DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. SpaceX’s Starship / Battlestar Galactica prototype is a large vehicle that could theoretically carry people into space, land safely back on Earth and be fit to turn around and fly again, multiple times.
2. Donald Trump’s / Elon Musk’s ultimate goal for space travel is to create “a self-sustaining city on Mars.”
3. October 1 marked the 70th anniversary of the Communist takeover of China. President Xi Jinping’s / Kim Jong Un’s goal for the government’s grandiose military parade was to showcase China as a global superpower of the 21st century – to project an image of military might and political power to the rest of the world.
4. Leading up to the 70th anniversary in Beijing, fierce clashes broke out between protesters and riot police in Hong Kong. A majority of the protesters are young people who do not want to be ruled by a democratic / totalitarian state.
5. California’s governor signed a first-in-the-nation law that will let college athletes get paid by the university / make money from endorsements starting in 2023.
6. The new California law permits / prohibits the NCAA and universities from revoking scholarships or banning athletes who take endorsements.
7. As a way to further identify people who have entered the U.S. illegally, DHS officials said this week that the department plans to collect the DNA / facial images of such persons. Officials also said, “It will assist other organizations as well in their identification ability.”
8. Earlier this year the U.S. Border Patrol / the U.S. military began performing “rapid DNA” tests on migrants who cross the border as family units to determine if the individuals were actually related and were not making fraudulent claims.
9. Detroit Democratic U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib told Detroit police Chief James Craig he should employ only white people / black people on the department’s facial recognition team because “non-African Americans think African-Americans all look the same.”
10. Detroit police Chief Craig said of Tlaib’s accusation, “It’s insulting. We have a diverse group of crime analysts, and what she said — that non-whites should not work in that capacity because they think all black people look alike — is a slap in the face to all the men and women in the crime center. To say people should be barred from working somewhere because of their skin color? That’s fair / racist.”
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.