DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ The bailout bill voted on by the House early this week included limits on severance pay to employees at firms that receive large amounts of the bailout money.
2. __________________ The bailout bill voted on by the House this week would have given Vice President Dick Cheney and his successor authorization to spend the $700 billion to save the economy.
3. __________________ The U.N. Navy’s 5th Fleet is calling on the world’s navies and law enforcement agencies to respond to a spike in incidents of piracy in the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea.
4. __________________ Since stepping up patrols in August, the U.S. Navy has prevented 12 acts of attempted piracy in the Gulf of Aden.
5. __________________ The Secretary of State, appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate, is the President’s chief domestic affairs adviser.
6. __________________ According to a report by the Secretary of State’s International Security Advisory Board (ISAB), the U.S. needs new weapon systems, including missile defenses and other advanced military capabilities, to deter and counter China’s steady buildup of nuclear and conventional arms.
7. __________________ Chad is the world’s 50th poorest country.
8. __________________ Chad’s military is not protecting its citizens from the Sudanese militias crossing the border and attacking them because it is busy defending the government from Chad’s own insurgency.
9. __________________ Half of this week’s vice presidential debate covered domestic policy, the other half dealt with foreign policy.
10. __________________ There will be two more vice-presidential debates before the election in November.