DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ In an analysis of the recently passed defense spending bill, it is reported that Senators diverted over $2 million in funds for earmarks to benefit their home states.
2. __________________ Earmarks to the defense spending bill made by senators include funds for a WWII museum, an educational institute named after Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and the Maui Space Surveillance System.
3. __________________ Rio de Janeiro in Venezuela will host the 2016 Olympic Games.
4. __________________ Recent violence in Rio has raised the question of whether officals will be able to keep athletes and spectators safe during the 2016 Olympic Games.
5. __________________ According to a recently concluded study, regular use of video games may help improve brain activity in the areas of memory and decision-making in older people.
6. __________________ Further studies with seniors are necessary to obtain more conclusive evidence because the trial was small – just 24 people were tested.
7. __________________ U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan are increasing operations against the Taliban to counter an anticipated increase in attacks before a presidential runoff election next month.
8. __________________ Military drones gathering information on known extremists in Kandahar can also home in and kill attackers with guided missiles.
9. __________________ The new bladeless fan introduced in Great Britain this month is easier to clean and less expensive than a regular fan.
10. __________________ The company selling the bladeless fan has also produced bagless vacuum cleaners and remote controlled cars.