DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. Columbus Day is a national holiday in the United States, proclaimed so by President Ronald Reagan / Franklin D. Roosevelt.
2. Christopher Columbus studied academic subjects including seafaring, astronomy, geometry and mapmaking / GPS navigation.
3. The Chinese head of Interpol mysteriously vanished after returning to China from France in September. His wife told French authorities that her last contact with her husband came via a WhatsApp text message with a knife emoji and the instructions, “Wait for my call” / “They got me. Call police.”
4. Mr. Meng’s case is notable because his wife notified the French authorities after he’d only been missing for a few days. Family members of missing Communist party officials in China rarely, if ever, reach out to foreign authorities because they fear their relatives will face ever greater punishment / they trust Communist Party officials to help them find their missing loved one.
5. Google exposed the private data of hundreds / hundreds of thousands of users of the Google+ social network between 2015 and 2018 and only disclosed the issue when a news story about the breach was publicized.
6. Google didn’t notify users of the security breach until it was forced to do so because it didn’t want to damage the company’s reputation. Also, Google wanted to avoid public scrutiny of why the company is censoring information to get into the Chinese market / how it handles user information.
7. As Hurricane Michael approached Florida residents were warned that major flooding would be a problem due to the fact that a 1 to 3 / 9 to 13 feet tall storm surge was predicted.
8. Ahead of Hurricane Michael’s landfall, the state prepared by mobilizing more than 1,000 search and rescue personnel, 3,500 National Guard members, workers from F-DOT to clear roads and 19,000 who were staged and ready to begin power restoration / food distribution.
9. To mark the centenary of the end of the war to end all wars, filmmaker Peter Jackson turned black and white silent film footage from World War I / World War II into a 3D color movie documentary.
10. Mr. Jackson did not use any historians / first-hand accounts in his documentary. He explained, “I just decided for this one to strictly just use the voices of the guys that fought there.” He noted that despite the horrors of war, “These guys…didn’t feel sorry for themselves.”
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.