DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. The NY Association of County Health Officials is warning that legalizing marijuana will endanger the welfare of New Yorkers. In contrast, the New York State Health Department / the Marijuana Growers Association said: “the positive effects of regulated marijuana market in NYS outweigh the potential negative impacts.”
2. Regarding the legalization of recreational marijuana, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio / the director for the Association of County Health Officials warned: “Research has substantiated that marijuana use significantly increases the likelihood of addiction to other drugs.”
3. The Group of Lima was established in 2017 to establish a peaceful end to the crisis in Venezuela. Among other issues, the Group demands the release of political prisoners, calls for free elections, and criticizes the breakdown of democratic order under the country’s democratic / socialist government.
4. Following Venezuela’s recent election, the Lima Group issued a joint resolution calling on Venezuelan President Bernie Sanders / Nicolas Maduro to abstain from assuming the presidency, transfer power to the National Assembly and call for new elections.
5. The “State of the State” address is a speech given annually by the governor of a state / president of the United States.
6. The State of the State is given to satisfy a constitutional stipulation that the chief executive must report annually, or in older constitutions described as being “from time to time,” on the state or condition of the United States / a U.S. state.
7. The U.S. Justice Department announced on Monday it has ruled that all internet gambling between states is legal / illegal. The DOJ is waiting 90 days to implement the ruling to allow businesses to adjust their operations.
8. The department said the DOJ’s 2011 opinion misinterpreted the the Wire Act and it has now reinterpreted the statute to apply to any form of gambling that crosses state lines, not just sports / racetrack betting.
9. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his “I have a dream” speech on August 28, 1963 / 1973, at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.
10. President Jimmy Carter / President Ronald Reagan signed a bill creating a federal holiday to honor Dr. King. Observed for the first time on January 20, 1986, it is called Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.