-Read the explanation and watch the video below from the HonestReporting.com.
-Read "Types of Media Bias" in the right column. Then answer the questions.
From a post by HonestReporting.com’s Yarden Frankl (original post date 7/14/13):
NOTE: The first direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in three years were held in Jerusalem last month, on August 14th, under U.S. mediation. Read the following explaining the Palestinian Authority’s portrayal of Jews to their people:
- Since the Palestinian Authority (PA) was established it has systematically indoctrinated young and old to hate Israelis and Jews.
- Using media, education, and cultural structures that it controls, the PA has actively promoted religious hatred, demonization, conspiracy libels, etc. These are packaged to present Israelis and Jews as endangering Palestinians, Arabs, and all humanity.
- This ongoing campaign has so successfully instilled hatred that fighting, murder and even suicide terror against Israelis and Jews are seen by the majority of Palestinians as justified self-defense and as Allah’s will.
- The PA presents Jews as possessing inherently evil traits. Jews are said to be treacherous, corrupt, deceitful and unfaithful by nature. These Jewish “attributes” and traditions are presented as the unchangeable nature of Jews.
- The PA assigns responsibility to the Jews for all the problems in the world: Wars, conflicts and civil wars are all said to be triggered by Jews. Indeed, the oppression suffered by Jews throughout history is presented as the legitimate response of nations seeking revenge for the injury caused them by the Jews living among them.
- The creation of the State of Israel is said to have been a European plot, in order to be rid of their Jews and save Europe from the evil of Jewish presence in their countries. (from Palestinian Media Watch)
Watch the news video from the Official Palestinian Authority TV, July 3, 2013. As the two sides are negotiating a peace agreement, the Palestinian Authority continues to teach Palestinian children to hate Israelis/Jews.
1. What type of bias by the U.S. media is Mr. Frankl illustrating?
2. Mr. Frankl states/asks the following:
- This is what they are teaching their children, yet Israel is to blame for lack of progress in the peace process?
- On a daily basis they are glorifying violence and indoctrinating their children to hate. Where is the media coverage?
- Where are the New York Times, the Washington Post and CNN? Is this not an important part of what’s going on in the Middle East?
- Is this not a great impediment to peace?
Do you agree with Mr. Frankl’s assertion that the mainstream media is not doing their job by reporting on the demonization of Israel by the PA? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Mr. Frankl is illustrating bias by omission and story selection.
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.