1. Which idiom do you think best describes the cartoonist’s intended meaning? Explain your answer.
a) runs roughshod over: The NFL games ran roughshod over the Sox’ victory celebration.
b) can’t hold a candle to: Baseball can’t hold a candle to football.
c) steal someone’s thunder: The NFL stole the Red Sox’ thunder.
2. Which sport is known as “America’s pastime”?
3. What is the main idea of Henry Payne’s cartoon?
4. Do you agree with the cartoonist’s assertion? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. c) steal someone’s thunder: The NFL stole the Red Sox’ thunder. — To steal someone’s thunder is to take success or praise away from someone (from theidioms .com) – in this case football took away from the Boston Red Sox World Series victory.
2. Baseball is known as America’s pastime.
3. Once football season starts, football dominates/overshadows every other sport.
4. Opinion question. Answers vary.