1. How does cartoonist Steve Breen view U.S. soldiers?
a) with gratitude and pity
b) with gratitude and appreciation
c) with appreciation and derision
d) with appreciation and apathy
2. What is the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?
3. Do you think that this cartoon better represents Memorial Day or Veterans Day? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. b) with gratitude and appreciation
2. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered on Veterans Day, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL those who served honorably in the military – in wartime or peacetime.
3. OPINION QUESTION. Answers vary.