1. Definitions for “nanny state”:
- a government which tries to give too much advice or make too many laws about how people should live their lives (from dictionary.cambridge.org)
- a government perceived as having excessive … control over the welfare of its citizens, especially in the enforcement of extensive public health and safety regulations
- in general nanny state is used in reference to policies where the [government] is perceived as being excessive in its desire to protect (as a nanny would protect a child), govern or control particular aspects of society (from wikipedia)
2. a) Opinion question. Answers vary.
b) Answers vary.