The cartoonist is lampooning NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s recent proposal to ban the sale of sugary drinks larger than 16 oz. in restaurants, movie theaters, sports arenas, and street vending carts. (If the NYC sugary drink ban is approved, consumers would still be able to buy the banned beverages in convenience and grocery stores.)
1. Define the term “nanny state.”
2. Do you think this an example of the government having excessive control over the welfare of its citizens or is it an example of the government looking out for the well-being of its citizens? Explain your answer.
3. a) What types of behaviors should the government be able to tell you to do, or not to do?
b) Should these things be decided by the federal government, state government, county government, city government or the individual? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Nanny state: A government perceived as having excessive interest in or control over the welfare of its citizens, especially in the enforcement of extensive public health and safety regulations. (from thefreedictionary.com)
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.