1. Cartoonist Stephan Pastis uses anthropomorphism in his Pearls Before Swine comic strip. Explain the difference between anthropomorphism and personification. (Ask your English teacher if it is ok to identifiy the literary device used in Pearls as personification :)
2. One of the types of humor an editorial cartoonist uses is irony. Irony is defined as when the opposite of what you expect to happen occurs. Describe the irony in the 2nd cartoon.
3. a) What point is cartoonist Stephan Pastis making about Google in a humorous way?
b) Do you agree with this assertion?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Anthropomorphism is a type of personification that gives human characteristics to non-humans or objects especially animals. There is a slight difference between these two. Personification is an act of giving human characteristics to animals or objects to create imagery, while anthropomorphism aims to make an animal or object behave and appear like they are human beings. (literarydevices.net)
2.Larry the Croc is secretly building a wall to protect himself from Google. When his friend asks how he will keep it a secret, without thinking he says he will Google it to find out. That won’t keep it a secret from Google – it will make Google aware of what he is doing.
3. a) Pastis is pointing out that you can’t hide anything from Google.
b) Opinion question. Answers vary.