Read the excerpt below (from newsbusters.org). Read "Types of Media Bias" in the right column. Then answer the questions.
… the news media [has neglected to examine] Barack Obama’s … pro-abortion stance during the Democratic campaign for the presidential nomination. … the network evening newscasts barely mentioned Obama’s pro-abortion stance during the primaries – from the launch of his candidacy in January 2007 through the end of the primaries in June 2008, just six out of 1,289 network evening news stories about Obama (0.46%) mentioned his position on abortion; none discussed it in any detail. …
Read the complete post at newsbusters.org.
1. What type of bias is the excerpt an example of?
2. Why should the media provide thorough coverage on the presidential candidates’ records on the issue of abortion?
3. Do you think that the media are purposely not reporting Senator Obama’s stand on abortion? Explain your answer.
4. Should the third and last debate include questions about abortion? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. The excerpt is an example of bias by omission.
2. The media should provide thorough coverage on the presidential candidates’ records on all major issues, including abortion, because it is their job to do so. Also, many voters do not go out of their way to study the issues on their own and rely solely on the information the media provides on the candidates. (For an example of this, listen to an unscientific audio clip at redstate.com of voters being interviewed about their support for the candidates based on the issues. Note – you must scroll down and click on the YouTube image to play the audio.)
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.
4. Opinion question. Answers vary.