1. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which pair of words best describes the tone of this cartoon? Explain your answer.
2. a) Define hyperbole and understatement.
b) Which word do you think best describes this cartoon?
3. Does this cartoon cause you to think differently about Kaepernick’s protest? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. a) serious/profound
The cartoonist views this topic in a very serious way.
2. hyperbole – an exaggeration of ideas for the sake of emphasis. (literarydevices .net)
Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which an author or speaker purposely and obviously exaggerates to an extreme. It is used for emphasis or as a way of making a description more creative and humorous. It is important to note that hyperbole is not meant to be taken literally; the audience knows it’s an exaggeration. (literaryterms .net)
understatement – An understatement is a figure of speech employed by writers or speakers to intentionally make a situation seem less important than it really is. (literarydevices .net)
Understatement is when a writer presents a situation or thing as if it is less important or serious than it is in reality. It describes something with less strength than would be expected. (literaryterms .net)
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.