print Print Cartoon
1. To what news item does this cartoon refer?
2. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which word best describes the tone of this cartoon?
3. Do you think the cartoonist makes a valid point? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. This cartoon refers to news reports on the apparent wealth of some of the Occupy Wall Street protesters, including those who own pricey Apple products, as well as an article: “Many Occupy Wall Street Protesters Live in Luxury.” The article revealed that, of the 984 Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested in New York City between September 18 and October 15, at least 95 of the protesters’ residences are worth approximately $500,000 or more. The median monthly rent for those living in apartments whose information was readily available is $1,850. (see article at yahoo.com)
2. a) sarcastic
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.