print Print Cartoon
1. A cartoonist often uses humor to illustrate a news item. What comic device does the cartoonist use to highlight this news story?
2. To what news item does this cartoon refer?
3. The U.S. Secret Service is a federal law enforcement agency under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The Secret Service has two distinct areas of responsibility:
- Financial Crimes, covering missions such as prevention and investigation of counterfeiting of U.S. currency and U.S. treasury securities, and investigation of major fraud.
- Protection, which entails ensuring the safety of current and former national leaders and their families, such as the President, past presidents, vice presidents, presidential candidates, visiting heads of state, and foreign embassies.
Do you think this cartoon is a fair depiction of Secret Service agents in general? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. d) exaggeration
2. Last week, two senior Secret Service agents were accused of crashing a car into a White House security barrier. The agents reportedly drove a government car into the barricades after drinking at a late-night retirement party.
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.