print Print Cartoon
1. Describe the irony in this cartoon. What point is cartoonist Gary Varvel making?
2. Do you agree with the cartoonist’s assertion? Explain your answer.
3. Has your school closed due to winter weather this year? If so, do you think the superintendent made the right decision to cancel school? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. The cartoonist implies that sometimes schools close unnecessarily due to bad weather. Although school is closed, students still manage to get out to see their friends (the irony being that the purpose of closing school is so students will remain safe at home).
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.
3. Answers vary.